Rejection isn’t fun at any age and neither is feeling different than everyone else. I refuse to let other peoples’ opinions cloud the reality of who I am or Whose I am. These 12 Truths are written as reminders for my children (and yours) to equip them to remember where their identity lies.
- God made you. Just as a parent loves a child so God loves us, His creation. Psalm 100:3, “Acknowledge that the Lord is God! He made us, and we are his. We are His people, the sheep of His pasture.”
- You are made in His image. You have good qualities within you. In some way you have the potential to reflect God’s goodness, grace, love, or any other characteristic of God. What an honor to reflect such a holy God and what a responsibility to protect His integrity. Genesis 1:27, “So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”
- You are a child of God. This means you are an heir to an eternal throne. You are royalty! May you be comforted by this truth and take this responsibility with joy. I John 3:1, “See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don’t recognize that we are God’s children because they don’t know Him.”
- God knows every hair on your head. God sees you. You are not overlooked. Matthew 10:30, “And the very hairs on your head are all numbered.” (Jesus speaking)
- God even collects your tears. Your sadness and pain does not go unnoticed. Psalm 56:8, “You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.”
- He knows everything you say. This is a comfort of how well He knows us along with a challenge to please Him with our words. Psalm 139:4, “You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord.”
- He knows everything about you. God is one person you can truly be yourself around. You don’t have to live up to a certain standard or try to be accepted or fit in. God knows exactly who you are. Rest in His presence and know you have permission to be yourself. Psalm 139:1, 3, “O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me…You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do.”
- God is always with you. We never have to fear. We are never alone. Deuteronomy 31:6, “So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.” And Hebrews 13:5, “…for God said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.”
- God will help you. God's protection shields us from hurts and heals us from hurts. He will heal your heart when you have pain and protect you. Psalm 118:6-7, “The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me? Yes, the Lord is for me; he will help me.”
- You are wonderful. God has no doubt you are worthy of life and life to the fullest (it’s promised in Scripture - John 10:10) Psalm 139:13-14, “You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous – how well I know it.”
- God has written your future. Nothing surprises Him, though it may us. God knows everything that’s going on. Bring your circumstances to Him and know He will be with you every step of the way. Psalm 139:16, “You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Ever moment was laid out before a single day had passed.”
- You can do anything with Him. By God’s power we are able to do anything. Let’s bring Him honor and glory by exercising our amazing potential. Luke 1:37, “Nothing is impossible with God.”
May you have confidence in who you are as a child of God and may you be equipped to battle the world when it tells you differently. You are loved. You are unique. You have eternal value from the Infinite God.