The Bible in Numbers*
ONE Bible split into two testaments made up from sixty-six books: thirty-nine Old Testament books and twenty-seven New Testament books. There were three original languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Over forty authors penned the divinely inspired words over the course of one thousand six hundred years, which includes the four hundred years of silence between the two testaments.
What is the Bible?
According to Scripture the Bible is Truth (Psalm 119:160) - God's Word (2 Peter 1:20-21).
What is the role of the Bible?
- To teach, rebuke, correct, and train believers of Jesus. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- To judge the thoughts and intentions of our hearts (Hebrews 4:12)
- To revive the soul, make us wise, bring joy, and enlighten readers (Psalm 19:7-9)
- To be an offensive spiritual weapon (Ephesians 6:17)
What is the Bible about?
The Bible serves several functions and shares wisdom on endless life circumstances, but it is mostly about God. The Bible is about God's character, God's Plan, and God's Truth.
What is God's Character like?
We'll never fully know God as He fully knows us, but the Bible does share much about the character of God. Here are five to get you started:
- God is loving. (Exodus 3:7-12) (I John 4:7-11)
- God is sovereign. (Job 38:1-11) (Matthew 28:18)
- God is powerful. (Exodus 7-12) (Mark 4:35-41)
- God is gentle. (Psalm 103) (John 8:1-11)
- God is gracious. (Jonah 2) (Acts 9:1-19)
What is God's plan?
God made us. (Genesis 1:26-27, Psalm 139, Colossians 1:15-16) We messed up - we sin. (Genesis 3, Isaiah 59:1-2, Romans 3:23, 6:23) God forgives us. (Leviticus 5:14-18, 1 John 1:9) God saves us. (Psalm 91, John 3:16-17)
What is God's Truth?
God's Truth is Scripture. You won't know until you read it. "Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." -Psalm 119:105
Find the Old Testament Overview here
Find the New Testament Overview here
Non-believers consider the Bible to be one of the best books ever written. Imagine the power it has over those who believe!
*Numbers taken from the ESV Study Bible